Houston (CBS HOUSTON) – More than 48 hours after Ryan Mallett missed the team flight to Miami for Sunday’s game against the Miami Dolphins, Texans coach Bill O’Brien said the team hasn’t made a decision about the quarterback’s future.
“Like I said after the game yesterday, we’re dealing with Ryan Mallett and that situation internally, so I won’t have any comments regarding that at this time,” O’Brien said during his Monday press conference.
O’Brien said there’s been discussion with general manager Rick Smith about ways to handle the embattled and erratic quarterback, who started four games for Houston this season before being benched.
When pressed about what those options for Mallett are, O’Brien was evasive and vague.
“We’re talking about it… We’re talking about all those options.”
That could include anything from a fine to, yes, cutting Mallett. O’Brien didn’t exactly sound thrilled with the mercurial Mallett, who has missed a practice, a team flight and, reportedly, a team bus back in training camp.
In fact, a source already told SportsRadio 610 that Mallett “would have been walking home from South Beach” if the Texans already had another viable quarterback option on the roster.
Tom Savage is on injured reserve after suffering a sprained shoulder in Houston’s final preseason game last month. Names like Matt Flynn, Christian Ponder and Kyle Orton have all been brought up in connection with the Texans, though there’s been no official word from the team.
Though there was no roster move today, it’s not out of the question that Mallett could still be released by the team later in the week if they decide to work out a quarterback on Tuesday, which is typically the day when teams work out potential signees.