Arlington, TX – Houston Texans fans turned out in droves Sunday in Arlington, but would leave in disappointment as the Dallas Cowboys used an overtime field goal by Dan Bailey to beat the Texans 20-17.

Bailey’s field goal was set up by a fantastic catch from Dez Bryant in tight coverage by Johnathan Joseph to put the Cowboys in range for Bailey’s 49-yarder. The kick redeemed Bailey who missed his first kick in 31 tries at the end of regulation to allow the game to go overtime.

The Texans had the ball first in overtime, but couldn’t convert on 3rd and two and were forced to punt allowing for the next score to be the deciding game.

The second half and overtime showed flashes of offense from the Texans that it didn’t see early in the game.

After swapping a few possessions to start the game, the Texans were able to pick up a first down, but a mis-communication between Ryan Fitzpatrick and Arian Foster led to an interception by Orlando Scandrick.

After converting several 3rd and longs, the Cowboy’s had Houston backed up into the redzone. That’s when Kendrick Lewis forced a fumble from DeMarco Murray. Justin Tuggle recovered the fumble and the Texans kept the Cowboys from getting on the board.

After trading possessions for the remainder of the first half Shane Lechler punted the ball away from deep in Texans territory. Jeff Tarpinian forced a Dwayne Harris fumble giving the Texans their best field position of the day at the Dallas 43-yard line. Once again they failed to take advantage.

In the final minutes of the first half, the Cowboys were deep in Texans territory, but rookie corner Andre Hal made a big play on third down to force Dallas into a field goal. Dallas took a 3-0 lead into the half.

At halftime Texans head coach Bill O’Brien described the offense as “ridiculous” to CBS television.

The Texans defense forced a key three and out to start the second half. The Texans marched into the red zone in large part because of a 39-yard run from Arian Foster. Foster finished the Texans first scoring drive of the play with a 15-yard touchdown run on the next play giving the Texans a 7-3 lead.

The Cowboys responded with a 43-yard touchdown pass to Terrance Williams, giving the Cowboys a 10-7 lead after a quick 4-play drive. On the play, Texans star JJ Watt missed a clean shot at Tony Romo which Romo spun out of before finding Williams.

The next Cowboys possession gave Dallas a chance to take a commanding lead but Romo was picked off by Kendrick Lewis at Houston’s own four yard line.

But the Texans offense continued to be stagnate, Fitzpatrick had just 64 yards passing at this point in the third quarter. After another three and out a big Dwayne Harris punt return set up a Dez Bryant touchdown. With 9:44 remaining in the game the Texans trailed 17-7.

Needing two scores with the clock dwindling, the Texans advanced into Cowboy’s territory and converted a key fourth and three. Randy Bullock knocked in a 29-yard field goal to make it a one score game, 17-10, with 2:27 remaining.

The Texans needed to force a three and out to get the ball back. On second and one, the Cowboys were called for a delay of game. The Cowboys ran a screen pass creating a pivotal third down and six. A big blitz forced Romo to throw it away and with 2:10 they punted it away up seven.

After the punt the Texans needed to go 45-yards to tie the game. A screen to Andre Johnson followed by a long completion to DeAndre Hopkins put Houston in the redzone. Back to back carries by Arian Foster gave the Texans the game tying score with 41 seconds left.

The Cowboys were able to pick up quick yards advancing to the 45-yard line of Houston with 12 seconds and two timeouts left. A quick completion to Dez Bryant put the ball on the 39-yard line with seven seconds and one timeout left. DaMarco Murray then rushed to the 35-yard line setting up a 53-yard field goal from Dan Bailey. The kick sailed wide left, Bailey’s first miss of the season, sent the game to overtime tied 17-17.

The Texans won the toss and chose to receive, meaning a touchdown would end the game. The Texans would be forced to punt after their drive stalled. The Cowboys were on the verge of giving it back to Houston when Romo threw it deep to Bryant, who made a spectacular catch. That catch sat up a 49-yard game winning field goal from Dan Bailey.

The Cowboys improve to 4-1 on the season. They travel to Seattle to face the defending Super Bowl Champions in week 6.

The Texans fall to 3-2 on the season with a match-up against 3-2 Indianapolis Colts on Thursday Night.

Latest Sports Stories:
[display-posts category=”sports” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]