Houston (CBS Houston) – Matt Jones will have to change his travel plans. After winning the Shell Houston Open, he’s headed to Augusta next week to compete in the Masters.
“I was going to be going home to play with my two year old and my three week old, so bit of a change now,” Jones said.
It was Matt Kuchar not Jones, who held the lead as the final group made its way up the 18th fairway. But Kuchar’s second shot found the water leading to his third bogey on the 18th hole in three days. That miscue left him and Jones tied for the lead after 72 holes, meaning the two would replay 18 with it all on the line.
Both golfers missed their approach to the right, leaving Jones 46 feet from the hole. From there Jones would energize the gallery, by holing out for birdie to win the tournament.
“I walked up there and I told my caddy I’m going to chip it in,” Jones said. “When I saw (the ball go in) it’s probably the happiest I’ve been on a golf course.”
It’s his first career PGA win, which nets him a cool $1,152,000.
“Going to Augusta is amazing,” Jones said. “The win means every thing to me.”
Latest Sports Stories:
- Has Road To WrestleMania Already Topped Main Event?
- Colvin: Texans Are Coming For Jacksonville, He And Mathieu Will Bring Savages To The Defense, What A.J. Bouye Said About Texans And More
- Lance McCullers Jr. Says Jose Altuve Is Still A Bargain For The Astros And More During His Weekly Mad Radio Visit
- NCAA Tournament 2018 TV schedule: Each March Madness Sweet 16 games ranked 1-8
- The Best Of Mad Radio 3-22