Houston (CBS Houston) – With just two days left until the start of the league year, Matt Schaub’s days as a Texan could be winding down. The Texans can designate Schaub a June 1st roster cut on Tuesday.
Most expect Schaub to be on his way out, but he’s telling teammates he’s optimistic about returning to Houston.
“I talked to him, I think it was two weeks ago. I get the feeling that he feels like he’s going to be here,” Andre Johnson said via CSN Houston.
Schaub will be due over $14 million next season, meaning any return would likely be accompanied by some type of contract restructuring.
“No matter what I think, he’s going to get a chance to right it. I think he’ll get a chance to go out and show people he can go out and play at a high level like he has before, if it’s here or somewhere else,” Johnson continued via CSN Houston. “I’ve always said if Matt’s not here, he’s going to be a starter somewhere else, so I think no matter what happens, he’s going to have a chance to show people he can be a top quarterback in this league.”
Johnson also told CSN as long as Schaub remains a Texan, he plans on working out with him this off-season.
“As long as Matt is my teammate, me and Matt are going to be working together,” Johnson said. “Hopefully he’s still here. That’s out of my control, but we’ll see what happens.”
Latest Sports Stories:
- Velvet Sky From Ring Of Honor: ‘Character Development A Lost Art’
- Baseball Report: Craig Kimbrel, Dallas Keuchel To Return
- 2019 Women’s World Cup: USWNT Match Schedule, Odds And Things To Know
- WWE Super ShowDown 2019: Who Wins Undertaker-Goldberg Dream Matchup?
- Belmont Stakes Preview: War Of Will Looks To Make It Two Straight Wins For Trainer Mark Casse