Tale of the tape
Week 14: Houston Texans At New England Patriots
|This is one of the most compelling games of the season and these teams seem likely to meet again in the postseason because they are likely the two best teams in the AFC. Matt Schaub will need to be on his game because the Pats are much better at defending the run than the pass. Schaub will need to exploit New England’s weak but improving pass defense.||Quarterback||Tom Brady has seen everything in football and his experience usually gives him an advantage. However, the Texans’ defense can shut down any opponent. He will have to be razor sharp if he is going to come out on top in this battle. The Houston secondary is somewhat vulnerable (22nd vs. the pass), so Brady should have an opportunity if he can avoid the solid Houston pass rush.|
|The Patriots are much tougher against the run than the pass, but don’t expect the Texans to avoid giving the ball to running back Arian Foster. He is a dominant player and he will be challenged by Vince Wilfork. It’s doubtful the Patriots have anyone who can stay with Andre Johnson (74-1,114-3) or tight end Owen Daniel (50-598-6).||Offense||The running attack has given the Patriots a dimension that they didn’t have a year ago. RB Stevan Ridley (1,010 yards and 9 touchdowns) runs with toughness and dependability. That makes life easier for Wes Welker, Aaron Hernandez and Brandon Lloyd, who have all picked up the slack for the injured Rob Gronkowski (broken arm).|
|The Texans have some holes in the secondary, but they can be covered up by the pass-rush ability and spectacular talent of defensive end J.J. Watt. Not only does Watt have 15.5 sacks through the first 12 games, he has also batted down 12 passes. Cornerback Kareem Jackson has four interceptions and 16 passes defensed.||Defense||The Pats have been tough to run against this year thanks to the presence of Wilfork in the middle and linebacker Jerod Mayo. However, they have been one of the most vulnerable teams against the pass. They have shown some improvement in recent weeks, but they will get tested by Schaub and the Texans. Former Buc Aqib Talib is talented but erratic.|
|The Texans have been sluggish on both punt and kickoff returns this season. Placekicker Shayne Graham has been decent this year, making 21-of-26 FG attempts this season. Donnie Jones is averaging a solid 46.7 yards per punt.||Special Teams||The Pats have gotten a solid contribution on return teams from Julian Edelman and Devin McCourty who both have TD returns this season. Stephen Gostkowski is 24-of-30 on his field goal attempts this season and has missed some kicks he should have made. Punter Zoltan Mesko remains a solid weapon because he gets excellent height on his kicks.|
The winner is
More Tales of the tape
NCAA Championship Game: #1 Louisville Vs. #4 Michigan
Rick Pitino has been here before, after making his 7th Final Four appearance, he’s now in his third go-round in the title game. He’s got plenty of experience on the big stage and he has the Cardinals playing high level basketball at the right time.
Super Bowl Halftime Show Vs. Neil Diamond: Who Takes The Trophy For Better Entertainment?
For years, both Neil Diamond and the Super Bowl Halftime show have been giving us, let’s say, mild overproduction (read: glitzy, flashy, and potentially unnecessary). So who’s got the edge between these two cheesy industry mainstays?
Harbaughs Vs. Baldwins: Which Pair Of Siblings Stand Out?
Harbaughs vs. Baldwins? Wow. What a battle! Let’s dig deep to see which pair of brothers has the upper hand.
CBS Houston Pages
Today’s Most-Viewed Pages
- Celebs Who Own Sports’ Teams! Massive Tornado Hits Oklahoma Goodbye Beckham! Baseball Shots Of The Week –...
- Fan Fest 2013: Fan Pictures... Fan Fest 2013 Houston Art Car Parade! Best Summer Dishes
- CBS 2013-2014 Prime Time Shows Prince Harry In U.S. Flash Forward: Concept Cars... Texas Rookie Mini-Camp And...
- The Elephants! Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Famous Hot Mamas! Remembering Jeanne Cooper
- SportsRadio 610 Water Bottle - 4 days and 0 minutes
- Sports Radio 610 Lanyard - 7 days and 0 minutes
- SportsRadio 610 Cup - 16 days and 0 minutes
- Stuhrling Original Men's Classic Winchester Skeleton Auto Silver Tone Watch - 14 hours and 58 minutes
- Enter to win $300 - 2 days and 14 hours and 57 minutes
- Apple TV - 3 days and 14 hours and 58 minutes
- The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series on Blu-Ray - 5 days and 14 hours and 58 minutes
- HP ProBook 15.6-Inch Notebook with 4GB Memory and 500GB Hard Drive - 7 days and 14 hours and 58 minutes