Freedom Over Texas
SportsRadio 610 invites you to Houston’s Official Fourth of July Celebration where fireworks will ignite the sky, and country tunes will set the stage for an extraordinary patriotic celebration! Country music artists Jack Ingram, Chris Young and Rodney Atkins will perform at the annual event held from 4 to 10 p.m. on Monday, July 4, culminating with a spectacular fireworks show that will light up the downtown skyline.
When: Monday, July 4th from 4pm to 10pm
Where: Eleanor Tinsley Park at Buffalo Bayou (along Allen Parkway just outside downtown)
Admission: With the donation of one canned item per person to the Houston Food Bank, admission for the event is FREE. Without the donation, tickets are $8 per person. Children two years and under will be admitted free.
When the concert comes to a close at 9:30 p.m., eyes will turn skyward for an extraordinary fireworks spectacular perfectly set to a selection of America’s favorite tunes, from patriotic songs to rock ‘n’ roll hits to classic bestsellers. Producing the show will be Pyrotecnico, one of the most innovative fireworks companies located in Texas. Our sister station, 100.3 KILT, will simulcast the music medley specially choreographed for the fireworks spectacular!
Festival-goers will enjoy booth exhibits and family friendly patriotic activities that will encompass Buffalo Bayou and Eleanor Tinsley Park:
KBR Liberty Park – “Symbols of Freedom”
- A reminder of the patriotic roots of the Fourth of July, Liberty Park will showcase historical military artifacts from the Military Museum of Texas including, U.S. M-60 tanks, armored vehicles and military jeeps as well as a representation from all five military branches.
- Recruiting on site will be the Army, Navy, FBI and HPD.
- History will come alive with the interactive education program, “Build A Flag,” presented by the National Sojourners.
- Further explore the narratives of our great nation through the display of national and local artifacts from The Museum of Printing History.
Bud Light Zone
- Visitors will be able to “cool off” with a cold one at the Budweiser Beer Garden, and enjoy a prime view of the seventh annual Bud Light Texas Volleyball Championship Series Finals.
- Inside the Budweiser Beer Garden enjoy live music by Ira Perez and a DJ by Kracker Nuttz.
- The Bud Light MXT Vehicle, a truck that has three elevated flat screens, will be equipped with an Xbox 360® system, Satellite Dish, sound system and Guitar Hero® III.
Walmart All American Kids Zone
- More than 30,000 square feet of free educational programming and entertainment await children.
- Houston Public Library’s HPL Mobile Express computer lab, will teach child how to use a computer.
- Houston Fire Department’s Smokehouse will teach kids the importance of fire safety.
- Historical costumed characters will talk with children about the documents that defined our government.
- Kids performing for kids will bring the stage to life with artistic performances of Animal Adventures, Cirque Mystery, Red Crew Hip-Hop, Pirates at Sea, Alice in Wonderland and characters such as Uncle Sam and the Statue of Liberty.
- Free electronic “Curb Games,” traditional games, rides, face painting and interactive activities will be open to children of all ages.
- Reliant Energy’s Red, White & Green Scene
- Families will learn how to reduce their carbon footprint and become energy efficient.
- Sustainability exhibits on display include recycling, green building, solar power, wind power, sustainable transportation and more
- Learn about the City of Houston’s green initiatives.
- Additional activities:
- Houston Area Land Rover Centres will showcase the latest lineup of 2011 Land Rover and Range Rover models.
Everyone can be an athlete at the Family Fitness Challenge Area where activities will be provided by all five Houston professional sports teams including the Houston Aeros, Houston Astros, Houston Dynamo, Houston Rockets and Houston Texans.
With the donation of one canned food item per person to the Houston Food Bank, admission for the event is FREE. Donate a Walmart Great Value product and Walmart will match your donation. Without the donation, tickets will be $8 per person. Children two years and under will be admitted free. In keeping with last year’s theme, Freedom Over Texas will expand its offering of recycling receptacles, encouraging all patrons to recycle.
In conjunction with the Fourth of July festivities, the State of Texas celebrates its 175th anniversary this year.
For more information, visit the Freedom Over Texas Web site at www.freedomovertexas.org