HOUSTON (CBS HOUSTON) – While the Texans are no longer in the market for a veteran quarterback after the drafting of Deshaun Watson, Tony Romo’s retirement and incumbent Tom Savage being named the starter after the trade of Brock Osweiler, the rumor mill on potential additions in Texans quarterback room were prevalent throughout the draft process.
Former Bears quarterback Jay Cutler is no longer available after it was announced that he would be joining FOX as an in-game analyst for the 2017 season, but his name was thrown around with several teams witth reports indicating he would have liked to have played in Houston.
During NFL Network’s draft coverage insider Ian Rapoport indicated that the Texans would not return Jay Cutler (or his representatives) phone calls when he expressed a desire to play in Houston.
Rick Smith told ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith last week that Rapoport’s report was inaccurate and further explained the situation on Monday the the Texans Charity Golf Classic.
“I will tell you I was a little surprised by that comment that that reporter made because it was inaccurate,” Smith told reporters on Monday. “Bus Cook is a friend of mine and obviously represents Jay (Cutler). I was in Denver when we drafted Jay Cutler, so I’ve got a relationship with Jay. Obviously, we respect him and respect Bus enough that we would not not return phone calls. I don’t know where that came from and obviously Jay has decided what he’s doing and moved on.”
Smith refused to categorize any conversations with Cutler or Cook and did not indicate if any conversations took place. Smith also denied that the decision to draft a quarterback in the first round was a reason for not considering another veteran quarterback.
Alex Del Barrio covers the Houston Texans for Sportsradio610.com and is the color commentator for the Houston Dynamo. He also hosts “ADB and Murph” with Matt Murphy which can be heard on Saturday afternoons 4-7 pm Follow Alex Del Barrio on Twitter: @alexdelbarrio