Houston (CBS HOUSTON) – In the back to back years, the Houston Texans season has ended after really poor quarterback play.
Last year Brian Hoyer threw four interceptions and he was replaced during the offseason.
This season Brock Osweiler threw three interceptions, and right now the team isn’t really sure what do.
“The game was less than 48 hours ago,” Bill O’Brien said when asked Monday if Osweiler would be the starter next season. “We are going to evaluate everything, we are going to do the best we can to field a good, competitive team, a better team, a more consistent team than we did this year.”
Out of 30 starting quarterbacks, Osweiler finished the year with the 29th worst quarterback rating only slightly ahead of Ryan Fitzpatrick.
After paying Osweiler 72 million dollars this past offseason, going out and getting a new quarterback during free agency seems unlikely.
What the Texans could do is take a quarterback in the first round with the 25th overall pick, something the team has only done once in their franchise’s history.
While that could be an option, at the moment, O’Brien is nowhere close to answering that question.
“We’re so far from, absolutely so far removed from even answering that question,” O’Brien said. “Right now, what we do is we sit down and we evaluate our team, we evaluate everything we do, then we get with the personnel people, we talk about all the things we need to do to improve, coaching, playing, everything, so that’s not even a question I can begin to answer.”
Going into the 2017 season the Texans will have Brandon Weeden, Tom Savage, and Osweiler all under contract.