St. Louis (CBS HOUSTON) The St. Louis Rams have released Houston area native Michael Sam prior to the 3pm CT deadline to have all active rosters to 53 players. Sam will be placed on waivers and free to sign with any team, according to reports from ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
The 7th round pick at linebacker was hoping to make the roster in St. Louis, though many thought it was a long shot. If he had made the roster and played he would have become the first openly gay player play a regular season NFL game.
Sam, from Hitchcock, Texas, was the co-defensive player of the year in the SEC in 2013 for Missouri.
LATEST SPORTS STORIES:
- Twitter Reacts To Super Bowl 50
- Denver Broncos Beat Carolina Panthers 24-10 To Win Super Bowl 50
- Top 10 Super Bowl 50 Commercials
- WATCH: Tailgate Fan Parties At Super Bowl 50
- Apparently NFL H.O.F. voters can consider barrier-breaking feats … unless you’re Hispanic