St. Louis (CBS HOUSTON) The St. Louis Rams have released Houston area native Michael Sam prior to the 3pm CT deadline to have all active rosters to 53 players. Sam will be placed on waivers and free to sign with any team, according to reports from ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
The 7th round pick at linebacker was hoping to make the roster in St. Louis, though many thought it was a long shot. If he had made the roster and played he would have become the first openly gay player play a regular season NFL game.
Sam, from Hitchcock, Texas, was the co-defensive player of the year in the SEC in 2013 for Missouri.
LATEST SPORTS STORIES:
- Hammond: Should Texans Fans Be Concerned About J.J. Watt’s Back?
- Is Tom Herman the Number One Choice for LSU?
- Dynamo Host One Of East’s Best
- Keidel: Is J.J. Watt Already Hall Of Fame-Bound?
- The Best Of The Worst Of Mad Radio