St. Louis (CBS HOUSTON) The St. Louis Rams have released Houston area native Michael Sam prior to the 3pm CT deadline to have all active rosters to 53 players. Sam will be placed on waivers and free to sign with any team, according to reports from ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
The 7th round pick at linebacker was hoping to make the roster in St. Louis, though many thought it was a long shot. If he had made the roster and played he would have become the first openly gay player play a regular season NFL game.
Sam, from Hitchcock, Texas, was the co-defensive player of the year in the SEC in 2013 for Missouri.
LATEST SPORTS STORIES:
- Real Salt Lake Comes From Behind, Beats Dynamo 2-1
- Texans Finally Get Defensive, Pick S Dillon and DT Reader In 5th Round
- Texans Take RB Tyler Ervin In 4th Round To Open Final Day Of NFL Draft
- Outdoor Show: Sat April 30
- Texans Pick Ohio State’s Braxton Miller In The 3rd Round