St. Louis (CBS HOUSTON) The St. Louis Rams have released Houston area native Michael Sam prior to the 3pm CT deadline to have all active rosters to 53 players. Sam will be placed on waivers and free to sign with any team, according to reports from ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
The 7th round pick at linebacker was hoping to make the roster in St. Louis, though many thought it was a long shot. If he had made the roster and played he would have become the first openly gay player play a regular season NFL game.
Sam, from Hitchcock, Texas, was the co-defensive player of the year in the SEC in 2013 for Missouri.
LATEST SPORTS STORIES:
- Triple Threat on Ryan Fitzpatrick 5-31-16
- O’Brien, Watt Praise Quessenberry Despite Release
- Triple Threat with All Due Respect 5-31-16
- Keidel: Don’t Underestimate The Warriors Like I Did
- Watt Talks Shirtless Twitter Pic Response, Rationale