St. Louis (CBS HOUSTON) The St. Louis Rams have released Houston area native Michael Sam prior to the 3pm CT deadline to have all active rosters to 53 players. Sam will be placed on waivers and free to sign with any team, according to reports from ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
The 7th round pick at linebacker was hoping to make the roster in St. Louis, though many thought it was a long shot. If he had made the roster and played he would have become the first openly gay player play a regular season NFL game.
Sam, from Hitchcock, Texas, was the co-defensive player of the year in the SEC in 2013 for Missouri.
LATEST SPORTS STORIES:
- The Best of The Triple Threat 08-23-2016
- Dynamo Ready for First Of Two This Week
- Luis Valbuena Out For The Year
- Greg Mancz’s Fitting Into Patchworked Offensive Line
- McCullers: The 4 Stages Of Grief When Getting Destroyed As A Major League Pitcher