Pearland Wins LLWS Opener
The Pearland East Little Leaguers claimed a 6-4 win over Cumberland, Rhode Island Friday night at the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
Pearland, representing the Southwest Region, built an early 3-0 lead after two innings. Presley Smith started the scoring in the first with a two-run bloop single to right field. Matthew Adams walked with the bases loaded in the second inning, forcing in the third run.
Adams pitched into the fifth inning with a 3-1 lead before departing with the bases loaded and two outs. Jonathan Newman relieved Adams on the mound and left the bases loaded.
Pearland scored three big insurance runs in the top of the sixth to increase the lead to 6-1. Rhode Island answered with three runs in the bottom of the sixth and had the bases loaded when the game ended.
The Little League World Series is a double elimination tournament. Pearland will be off Saturday before resuming action Sunday at 6:00 p.m. in a match-up with Pennsylvania. The United States Championship game is set for Saturday August 23rd.
“LATEST SPORTS STORIES:
- Heated Conversations With Booker T Sat. Jan 24th
- Bill Belichick Addresses Deflate-Gate: We As An Organization Have Followed The Rules
- James Harden Hits Game Winning Shot To Lift Rockets Over Suns
- What’s Poppin’?: Pop Culture With Paul, Brien And Producer Lara
- Astros Sign Marwin Gonzalez, Avoid Arbitration