Pearland Wins LLWS Opener
The Pearland East Little Leaguers claimed a 6-4 win over Cumberland, Rhode Island Friday night at the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
Pearland, representing the Southwest Region, built an early 3-0 lead after two innings. Presley Smith started the scoring in the first with a two-run bloop single to right field. Matthew Adams walked with the bases loaded in the second inning, forcing in the third run.
Adams pitched into the fifth inning with a 3-1 lead before departing with the bases loaded and two outs. Jonathan Newman relieved Adams on the mound and left the bases loaded.
Pearland scored three big insurance runs in the top of the sixth to increase the lead to 6-1. Rhode Island answered with three runs in the bottom of the sixth and had the bases loaded when the game ended.
The Little League World Series is a double elimination tournament. Pearland will be off Saturday before resuming action Sunday at 6:00 p.m. in a match-up with Pennsylvania. The United States Championship game is set for Saturday August 23rd.
“LATEST SPORTS STORIES:
- Dallas Sportscaster Sends “Eats Fresh” Tweet About Subway Spokesman’s Connection In Child Porn Case
- Hammond: Bottom Line In Johnson Story: Guys, Don’t Hit Women
- Dallas Keuchel Gets His 11th Win With Help From Astros Offense
- The Best Of The Worst Of ‘In The Loop’
- Warren Moon And The Oilers Reunion Golf Tournament