Houston (CBS Houston) – The Houston Texans released their first unofficial depth chart of the 2014 season on Tuesday. Number one overall pick Jadeveon Clowney is listed ahead of incumbent starter Whitney Mercilus at outside linebacker.
Mercilus, a former first round pick himself, has been working with the second team for most of training camp.
“The front seven is great with the addition of Clowney,” Mercilus said Tuesday. “He brings a lot of great things to the table. We’ve just got to be able to play as a unit.”
Clowney has missed the last few days of practice as he continues to rehab from off-season sports hernia surgery. Romeo Crennel previously said that Clowney would have to earn his starting spot. The South Carolina product appears to have done exactly that.
“Well you can tell that he has talent but he hasn’t been out here that much. He’s recovering from that little minor surgery he had,” Crennel said on August 1st. “We’re still working with him through that but he’s beginning to be in on more plays and do more things and I think that as soon as we can get him out there more, he will improve more.”
As of Tuesday, Clowney had not been ruled out for the Texans preseason opener against the Cardinals.
Latest Sports Stories:
- Hammond: Is Mike Vrabel The Texans Next Head Coach?
- 5 Reasons Why Brock Osweiler Will Not Be On The Texans Next Season
- REPORT: Texans To Not Hire OC; O’Brien To Call Plays In 2017
- Houston Texans Promote Mike Vrabel To Defensive Coordinator Romeo Crennel To Asst. Head Coach
- The Very Best Of Gallant At Night