Houston (CBS Houston) – The Houston Texans released their first unofficial depth chart of the 2014 season on Tuesday. Number one overall pick Jadeveon Clowney is listed ahead of incumbent starter Whitney Mercilus at outside linebacker.
Mercilus, a former first round pick himself, has been working with the second team for most of training camp.
“The front seven is great with the addition of Clowney,” Mercilus said Tuesday. “He brings a lot of great things to the table. We’ve just got to be able to play as a unit.”
Clowney has missed the last few days of practice as he continues to rehab from off-season sports hernia surgery. Romeo Crennel previously said that Clowney would have to earn his starting spot. The South Carolina product appears to have done exactly that.
“Well you can tell that he has talent but he hasn’t been out here that much. He’s recovering from that little minor surgery he had,” Crennel said on August 1st. “We’re still working with him through that but he’s beginning to be in on more plays and do more things and I think that as soon as we can get him out there more, he will improve more.”
As of Tuesday, Clowney had not been ruled out for the Texans preseason opener against the Cardinals.
Latest Sports Stories:
- Temple Fans Curse At Teenager Matt Rhule Not Football Coach Matt Rhule On Twitter
- Baylor Hires Matt Rhule As Next Head Coach
- Hammond: Texans Wrong To Make Charles James Fall Guy For Loss
- Donatas Motiejunas Fails To Show Up For Physical After Rockets Contract Offer
- Brunell: Too Early To Jump Ship On Osweiler