Astros 1st round draft pick from 2013 has been less then great this season, but on Thursday night against the Stockton Ports, Mark Appel was a different pitcher. Appel went six innings, had seven strike outs, and also dropped his ERA from 10.80 to 9.74, tossing season highs in innings and strike outs.
By all accounts Appel was a different pitcher then in previous starts using the inside of the plate, and throwing his off speed pitches for strikes. Earlier in the season scouts had said Appel had lost his fastball but tonight it was back and hitting 95 on occasions.
Astros GM Jeff Luhnow told sports radio 610 about a month ago he still had hopes Appel would make it to AA this season, and a few more strong night’s like Thursday could getting him there before the end of the season.
Follow JR on twitter —–> @Dyslexicsports
Latest Sports Stories:
- NBA Coaching Candidates: Perfect Hires For Every Opening
- Orioles Trading Manny Machado At Deadline Seeming More Likely
- SportsLine’s Top Weekend Picks: NBA And NHL Playoffs Roll On
- Morton Dominance, Altuve’s Bat Carry Astros To 9-2 Win Over Mariners
- Former WWE Star Pete Gas Talks Undertaker-Rusev Situation