5 Things You Didn’t Know About Saul “Canelo” Alvarez
From Our CBS Music Sites
Sports Fan Insider
The stakes are high for Saul “Canelo” Alvarez as he defends his pride against the cuban southpaw, Erislady Lara. Ten months ago, Canelo made headlines as he took on one of boxing’s greats, Floyd Mayweather Jr. Unfortunately for the Mexican heartthrob, the fight ended in a loss by decision, but he rebounded quickly in his next fight as he dished out a grueling beating and TKO’ed Alfredo Angulo in the 10th round. After that fight, during Canelo’s winning press conference, Lara approached the stage and called out Canelo for an opportunity to fight. Canelo obliged and we’ll be able to see that fight happen July 12th on Showtime Pay-Per-View. But before you watch, check out these five things you didn’t know about Canelo Alvarez.
5. His nickname “Canelo” which he is most recognized by. It means “cinnamon” in Spanish (in reference to his red hair).
4. He turned pro at 15! Now 23 years of age, he holds an impressive record of (43-1-1).
3. In his first 13 fights as a pro, he knocked out 11 total opponents, all of whom were significantly older.
2. In his free time, Canelo enjoys riding horses….bareback (which requires incredible balance and coordination).
1. His favorite song is Michael Jackson’s “Beat It.” (He likes to train to this because of the rhythm and flow.)