Best 7 Events In Astrodome History
The Houston Astrodome is the eighth wonder of the world! No longer in use and possibly to be torn down the iconic stadium sits empty next to the Houston Texans NRG Stadium. But June 9th marks the anniversary of the first indoor MLB All-Star game being played at the Astrodome in 1968.
In honor of that, we look back at the seven best events to take place in the Astrodome.
1. Muhammad Ali vs. Cleveland Williams – 1966
The three time heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali defeated Cleveland Williams with a TKO in the 3rd round. Many claim that this the best Ali ever was, during this fight.
2. The Game Of The Century – University of Houston vs. UCLA – 1968
52,963 fans turned out to see Guy V. Lewis’ Cougars take down the vaunted UCLA Bruins, coached by the great John Wooden, at the Astrodome for the ‘Game of the Century.’ The game was teh first NCAA regular season game broadcast nationwide in prime-time and held the record for largest crowd at a college basketball game until 2003. The Cougars took down the Bruins 71-69 that day.
3. The Battle Of The Sexes – Billy Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs – 1973
Many look at this as a huge step forward for women’s sports in America as Billy Jean took down Riggs in 3 sets. It was more a publicity match than an actual match but there was a lot riding on it for women to be taken seriously as athletes.
4. WWE WrestleMania X-Seven – 2001
In front of 67,925 Stone Cold Steve Austin defeated The Rock to become the new WWE Champion.
5. NBA All-Star Game - 1989
Karl Malone won the MVP in front of 44,000 basketball fans in the 1989 All-Star Game with 28 points in the West’s defeat of Michael Jordan and the East 143-134.
6. Evel Knievel 13 Car Jump – 1971
Two nights in a row Evel Knievel jumped 13 cars on his motorcycle inside the Astrodome. Over 100,000 people, over the two nights, watch the dare-devil try the feat.
7. MLB All-Star Game – 1968
The first indoor All-Star game also was the lowest scoring All-Star game ever. The NL won 1-0 over the AL. Willie Mays scored the games only run (unearned), scoring from 3rd on a double-play ball in the first inning.
LATEST SPORTS STORIES:
- Rockets Fall To Raptors 99-96
- Hartford Courant’s Jenny Wilson: Shayanna Jenkins Testimony A Mixed Bag For Both Prosecution And Defense
- USA Today College Basketball Writer Nicole Auerbach: It Would Take A Lot For UT To Land Smart
- Former Miami RB Duke Johnson: Texans Spoke To Me At NFL Combine
- Reports: Rick Barnes Offered Tennessee Job