Texans Name Ryan Fitzpatrick Their Starting Quarterback
Houston (CBS Houston) – After an off-season full of self-described open competition, Texans head coach Bill O’Brien named Ryan Fitzpatrick the team’s starting quarterback on Tuesday.
“When I came into the 8:00am team meeting this morning I told the team that Ryan Fitzpatrick is our starter,” O’Brien said. “He’s a guy that’s earned the job and the other three guys are working hard and battling it out for number two. All four of them have put in a lot of good work, but at the end of the day Ryan Fitzpatrick is our starter. He’s had a good off-season.”
Fitzpatrick signed a two-year deal in the off-season and had been battling with T.J. Yates, Case Keenum, and rookie Tom Savage. Keenum started the final eight games of last season and Yates has started two playoff games for the franchise.
“This is going to be a really fun system to play in.” Fitzpatrick said.
Fitzpatrick entered last season as a backup in Tennessee, but ended up starting a handful of games after Jake Locker went down with an injury.
“Personally, for me, this is kind of where I wanted to be.” Fitzpatrick said. “I wanted another shot at it. I wanted another chance to be the guy.”
Latest Sports Stories:
- Dreessen: In The NFL, Loyalty Isn’t A Two Way Street
- 30 Players: Souza Has Tools To Impress For Tampa Bay Rays
- Breaking Down College Basketball’s Top 25 Teams [1-5]
- Matt Hammond Podcast (Mar. 3): Is Andre Johnson Fibbing About Talks With Texans?
- Rosenfels: Andre Johnson The Best Receiver I Ever Played With