HOUSTON (CBS Houston) – A hospital is being accused of losing a patient for three days .

Mary Reyna, a 69-year-old woman who suffers from diabetes and is partially paralyzed from a stroke, was found in a stairwell at St. Joseph Medical Center after being missing for three days.

“How can they treat somebody like that,” Rose Zuniga, Reyna’s daughter, told KHOU.

Zuniga explained that her mother began to suffer from an anxiety attack and was taken to the hospital by ambulance on Saturday.

“I felt that putting her in the hospital was the best place where she’d get the best help,” Zuniga said.

She then stated that the hospital called her two hours later and said that her mother had been discharged even though no one from her family had been made aware.

“And I said what do you mean you released her,” Zuniga said. “And they said we just released her on her own.”

Zuniga shared that family members called other hospitals in the area and even notified the police. A St. Joseph employee informed her that her mother had been found in the stairwell.

“They found her on the fourth floor of a stairwell,”  Zuniga explained. “I said, ‘you mean she’s been there almost two or three days?'”

Reyna was found covered in her own waste.

“She was all dirty. She was like passing out,” Zuniga said.

A hospital spokesperson, Glenda Newby, released the statement below:

“We can confirm that we received a complaint from the family of a patient recently discharged. As a hospital that provides care to hundreds of patients each day, St. Joseph Medical Center takes the welfare of its patients seriously and responds quickly any time it learns of a complaint. In immediate response to this matter, we have commenced an internal review which is ongoing. What we know so far is that, after the patient was discharged, the hospital staff immediately attempted to reach the patient’s family but, unfortunately, had been given incorrect contact information by the patient. When hospital staff returned promptly to obtain additional contact information from the patient, she had left the waiting area on her own. It is our top priority to understand what happened after this patient was discharged and we will work with the family toward that end.”



Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live