Mom Claims Daughter Got Sunburned Because School Wouldn’t Allow Her To Bring Sunscreen On Field Trip
SAN ANTONIO, (CBS Houston) – A mother claims that her child wasn’t allowed to bring sunscreen to campus and was badly sunburned as a result.
Christy Riggs explained that her 10-year-old daughter went on a school field trip and came home sun-burned because the North East Independent School District wouldn’t allow her daughter to bring sunscreen to reapply.
“When you have a school field trip or a field day (in) which they’re out there for an extended period of time, they should be allowed to carry sunscreen and reapply,” Riggs told KSAT.
The mother shared that skin cancer runs in her family and that her father recently died from it.
A spokeswoman for the North East Independent School District explained that sunscreen is considered a medication and that children need to provide a doctor’s note to bring it on campus.
“Typically, sunscreen is a toxic substance, and we can’t allow toxic things in to be in our schools,” Aubrey Chancellor told KSAT.
Children should come to school fully covered in sunscreen if parents know that their child may be outdoors, Chancellor stated. She added that sunscreen can’t be brought by students to school campuses because of safety reasons.
“We have to look at the safety of all of our students and we can’t allow children to share sunscreen,” she told KSAT. “They could possibly have an allergic reaction (or) they could ingest it. It’s really a dangerous situation.”
Riggs doesn’t approve of the reasons provided.
“Where do you draw the line?” Riggs asked KSAT. “Do we say no hand sanitizer? Do we not allow school glue? When you have several hundred children on field day being burnt, then we have to ask ourselves, ‘Do you want them to be safe or not?'”
Chancellor explained that the school district may revisit this policy, since they review school policies every year.