NEW YORK (CBS HOUSTON) – Hitchcock, Texas native Michael Sam was drafted into the National Football League as the first openly gay player drafted.
The defensive end from Missouri was the SEC co-defensive player of the year.
Sam came out in a very public interview on ESPN and Sports Illustrated shortly after the College football season ended. He played all of 2013 out to his Missouri Tiger teammates.
If Sam makes the team and plays he will be the first openly gay player in the NFL.
LATEST SPORTS STORIES:
- NBA Coaching Candidates: Perfect Hires For Every Opening
- Orioles Trading Manny Machado At Deadline Seeming More Likely
- SportsLine’s Top Weekend Picks: NBA And NHL Playoffs Roll On
- Morton Dominance, Altuve’s Bat Carry Astros To 9-2 Win Over Mariners
- Former WWE Star Pete Gas Talks Undertaker-Rusev Situation