Mark Appel last seasons number one overall pick by the Astros has been removed from High A Lancaster and sent to extended spring training in Florida. Appel has struggled since arriving to Lancaster after almost no spring training due to recovering from appendicitis. Appel in 4 starts with Lancaster has only pitched 13 innings and has giving 9 earned runs for a 6.23 ERA.
General Manager Jeff Luhnow stated that Appel has gotten used to pitching every seven days from his years at Stanford as a reason for the move, and it seems in Florida he will have a much better chance at building rhythm in a less pressure environment.
Appel has been touted as a guy that could make to the big club by the end of the season, and while it is unsure how long he will stay in Florida he still could see some time with the big league club at the end of the season.
Follow JR on twitter —–> @Dyslexicsports
Latest Sports Stories:
- Blue Returns To Practice; Joseph Expects To Play Sunday
- Best of In the Loop 9-20-17
- Showtime Boxing Announces Deontay Wilder vs. Luis Ortiz Heavyweight Title Fight Set For November 4th
- Watson: I Expect Belichick To Throw A Lot At Me
- Chris Myers: Wouldn’t Be Surprised If Rick Smith Stubborn Regarding Duane Brown