Mark Appel last seasons number one overall pick by the Astros has been removed from High A Lancaster and sent to extended spring training in Florida. Appel has struggled since arriving to Lancaster after almost no spring training due to recovering from appendicitis. Appel in 4 starts with Lancaster has only pitched 13 innings and has giving 9 earned runs for a 6.23 ERA.
General Manager Jeff Luhnow stated that Appel has gotten used to pitching every seven days from his years at Stanford as a reason for the move, and it seems in Florida he will have a much better chance at building rhythm in a less pressure environment.
Appel has been touted as a guy that could make to the big club by the end of the season, and while it is unsure how long he will stay in Florida he still could see some time with the big league club at the end of the season.
Follow JR on twitter —–> @Dyslexicsports
Latest Sports Stories:
- NBA Coaching Candidates: Perfect Hires For Every Opening
- Orioles Trading Manny Machado At Deadline Seeming More Likely
- SportsLine’s Top Weekend Picks: NBA And NHL Playoffs Roll On
- Morton Dominance, Altuve’s Bat Carry Astros To 9-2 Win Over Mariners
- Former WWE Star Pete Gas Talks Undertaker-Rusev Situation