HOUSTON (CBS HOUSTON) – A new era in Houston soccer beings Saturday when the Houston Dash will have their first ever game in the NWSL against the Portland Thorns at 7pm at BBVA Compass Stadium.
The task in their first game will be a tough one as the Thorns look to defend their 2013 NWSL Championship led by Canada’s all time leading scorer Christine Sinclair. The Thorns also boast U.S. National Team member Alex Morgan, who will miss the game with an ankle injury.
The Dash look to a Canadian as well in captain and goalkeeper Erin McLeod. The Dash have two stars in the making in their first round expansion draft pick, Brittany Bock and their first round college draft pick Kealia Ohai. Ohai will have a Houston fan favorite rooting her on. Houston Texans star line-backer Brian Cushing is her brother-in-law.
The Dash look to follow in the path of the Thorns, even entering the league in a similar way. The Dash who are run and owned by the Houston Dynamo, fit into the mold of the Thorns who are owned by the MLS’ Portland Timbers.
Latest Sports Stories:
- WWE: Raw, SmackDown To Eventually Become Online Only
- Camp Confidential – Watson Struggles, Defense Dominates (Thursday 7/27)
- 2017 Mountain West Conference Football Preview: West Division
- 2017 Mountain West Conference Football Preview: Mountain Division
- Charley Casserly Joins In the Loop From Texans Training Camp