Orlando, Fla (CBS HOUSTON) – The NFL passed three new rules on Wednesday in Orlando for the NFL Owners meetings. Five proposed rules were voted down.
1. NFL Goal Posts extended by five feet. The uprights will be five feet higher now to help prevent field goals being kicked directly over them and ruled no good or good without a clear answer.
2. Fumble recovery is now reviewable. This is known as the NaVorro Bowman rule because of his obvious recovery in the NFC Championship game that did not get reviewed because you couldn’t review if the ball was recovered or not.
3. The game clock will continue to run after a quarterback is sacked outside of the last two minutes.
1. Expanding what rules could be reviewed. Many other rules were shot down as being reviewable, including personal foul calls.
2. Kickoff’s from the 40 yard line.
3. Elimination of training cam roster cut-down to 75 players.
4. Extra Points moved to the 25-yard line from the two yard line. This would make extra points 42 yard field goals. However the NFL will experiment with extra points being snapped from the 20-yard line during the first two weeks of pre-season this year.
5. Allowing unlimited number of players on injured reserve to return to the active roster.
1. Overtime removed from preseason games (Decision postponed until May)
2. Roster expansion on the practice squad to ten players from eight and Thursday Night game rosters to 49 from 46 were tabled.
3. Allowing teams to open their room during halftime for weather reasons was tabled.
4. The NFL will talk to broadcast partners about adding cameras to goal lines, side lines and end lines.
Latest Sports Stories: