Children At Houston-Area Swim School Get Sick

SPRING, Texas (AP) — At least nine children at a Houston-area swim school have been treated for breathing trouble after a possible chlorine problem.

Klein Fire Department Chief David Bessolo says a pool chlorination system apparently malfunctioned Tuesday night at the FINS swim school in Spring. He says the sick children were treated for symptoms not believed to be life-threatening.

Swim school owner Bill Goudeket  says the business would be closed Wednesday while he conducts his own investigation. He apologized for the incident and says the chorine system is automatic and monitored.

Goudeket says he believes a child might have put something in a pool jet, such as a toy, and briefly clogged the system.

Bessolo says hazardous materials experts checked the pool following the incident and the chlorine levels were normal.

(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

blog comments powered by Disqus
Watch Now: Live Video & Video Highlights

Listen Live