Champions Tour golfer and University of Houston alum, Steve Elkington, tweeted out Tuesday that NFL Prospect Michael Sam was participating in a “handbag throw” at the NFL combine.
Sam, who publicly came out as a homosexual a few weeks ago, is looking to become the first openly gay NFL player after finishing his collegiate career at the University of Missouri. Sam is projected to be drafted in the mid rounds of the 2014 NFL Draft.
Twitter responded to Elkington in kind with many replies to his tweets calling the golfer out on his insensitive comment.
Elkington is in his second season on the Champions Tour. He finished 2013 ranked 31 on the money list. He hasn’t won a professional tournament since 1999.
UPDATE: Elkington responded to the many tweets about him being against Michael Sam with the following tweet:
Latest Sports Stories:
- NBA Coaching Candidates: Perfect Hires For Every Opening
- Orioles Trading Manny Machado At Deadline Seeming More Likely
- SportsLine’s Top Weekend Picks: NBA And NHL Playoffs Roll On
- Morton Dominance, Altuve’s Bat Carry Astros To 9-2 Win Over Mariners
- Former WWE Star Pete Gas Talks Undertaker-Rusev Situation