Sochi, Russia (CBS HOUSTON) – The United States Men’s Hockey team could not beat Canada losing 1-0 in the the Semi-Final match with their neighbors to the north.
A second period goal by Dallas Stars Captain, Jamie Benn, for the Canadians was the difference in the game. Canada will move on to face team Sweden in the Gold Medal match on Sunday in Sochi. The loss will send the USA to face Finland Saturday for a place on the podium and a bronze medal.
United States goaltender Jonathan Quick stopped 36 of 37 shots from the Canadians, but his counterpart Carey Price was able to turn away all 31 shots fired at him from the red, white and blue to get his fourth win of the Olympic tournament.
The United States provided little pressure however with those 31 shots as the Canadian defense did a great job of clogging up the scoring lanes for the likes of Zach Parise and Patrick Kane.
The gold medal match on Sunday will feature the last two Gold medal winners. Canada won in 2010 in Vancouver and Sweden winners in 2006 in Torino, Italy.
Latest Sports Stories:
- Jack Swagger Signs With MLW One Year After Leaving WWE
- Bruins Win Dramatic Game 7 And, Is It Finally The Capitals Year?
- Redick A Team Leader And Mentor For Young 76ers
- Frank Nobilo On Zurich Classic: ‘With Team Format, You Can Have A Lot Of Fun’
- Commission On College Basketball Proposes Changes To NCAA