Nolan Ryan To Join Astros As Special Assistant
From Our CBS Music Sites
Sports Fan Insider
Houston (CBS Houston) - On Monday Jim Crane said he hoped to have something in place with Nolan Ryan before the start of spring training and on Tuesday he accomplished that goal.
Ryan will join the Astros as ‘special assistant to Jim Crane’. He will join his son, Reid Ryan, who serves as president for the Astros.
“It’s just really really cool, but more importantly I think he’s going to help us win.” Reid Ryan said on Sean and Rich. “He connected with Jim Crane and Jeff Lunhow over the last couple of weeks and I think he has a ton to give all of us and we’re excited to put him to work.”
Reid didn’t specify what his dad’s specific role would be, but he stressed the value of having him on board.
“My dad is going to be here to help whether it’s with Jim, myself, or Jeff. I know all of us see him as a resource.” Ryan said.
Ryan previously served as CEO of the Texas Rangers from 2008 until last October. He’s a native of Texas and pitched for the Astros from 1980-1988. In Houston, he compiled a 106-94 record and over 1800 strikeouts.
Latest Sports Stories:
- UH Picked 3rd In AAC Pre-Season Poll
- Alyson Footer Gives Clarity To The Astros Players Uproar
- Mark Appel: No One Will Care About Lancaster When I’m Pitching In World Series
- 5 Players In The NFL Who Will Have A Bounce Back Season Offensively
- Rick Smith Impressed With O’Brien’s Ability To Develop Chemistry