PHILADELPHIA (CBS Houston) – The Houston Dynamo selected Wisconsin defender AJ Cochran in the first round of the MLS Super Draft on Thursday.
Houston used its No. 16 overall pick to select Cochran, a member of Generation adidas. The The 6-foot-3 center back played three seasons at the University of Wisconsin being named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year in 2013. The 20-year-old started 57 games and scored five goals in his career at Wisconsin.
“AJ was a player we had on our list,” said Dynamo head coach Dominic Kinnear. “He is a good center back and is going to provide some good competition. He is very good in the air, he is tough, and we like his attitude. He reminded us of Eddie Robinson, which is a good thing.”
The Dynamo also sele3cted Mark Sherrod, a forward from Memphis, in the second round. Sherrod wan Conference USA Offensive player of the year in 2012 after netting 12 goals for the Tigers.
“I applaud the efforts of the technical staff on this draft,” said Dynamo president Chris Canetti. “They worked hard on the evaluations and it seems to have paid off with some smart picks. I’d like to welcome AJ and Mark to the club and look forward to watching them perform.”
Latest Sports Stories:
- NBA Coaching Candidates: Perfect Hires For Every Opening
- Orioles Trading Manny Machado At Deadline Seeming More Likely
- SportsLine’s Top Weekend Picks: NBA And NHL Playoffs Roll On
- Morton Dominance, Altuve’s Bat Carry Astros To 9-2 Win Over Mariners
- Former WWE Star Pete Gas Talks Undertaker-Rusev Situation