Talking with reporters after the Ballon d’Or celebrations (Soccer’s MVP of World Soccer awards ceremony) on Monday, FIFA President Sepp Blatter let the cat out of the bag that the world’s soccer organization’s plans for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
Pro Soccer Talk is reporting that other FIFA executives are not as eager as Batter to announce the date changes.
“We are making all these consultations and they will be finished at the end of 2014,” Blatter said of the evidence FIFA is currently collecting. “So it will be in 2015 that we can make the decision, if we will play in the summer or winter in 2022. But the tendency is definitely that it’s too hot in the summer, so let’s find a solution to play in the winter.”
Some of the issue is that Jerome Valcke, Secretary General of FIFA, said last week on French radio that the tournament could be held in two different year. With games being played “sometime between November 15 and January 15.”
Who knows what will happen with FIFA, but all this mess would have been avoided if they just awarded 2022 to the USA, like many believe it should have been.