Fun With Numbers: Rockets Edition
From Our CBS Music Sites
Sports Fan Insider
Last week, I explained why the Rockets is actually pretty good. I used advanced stats that can be found on NBA.com. If you have some spare time, you should check it out. Fortunately I did have some spare time, so here are some numbers that jumped out at me. They are in no particular order.
- The Rockets are scoring 107.8 points per 100 possessions, which is third best in the NBA. The 100.3 points they allow per 100 possessions is ninth best. Miami, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, LA Clippers are the only other teams with top 10 offensive and defensive units.
- The Blazers have the league’s best offense, scoring over 110 points per 100 possessions. In the two games they’ve played against the Rockets, that rate drops to 103 points per 100 possessions.
- At home, the Rockets are outscoring teams by 11.8 points per 100 possessions, third highest margin in the league.
- The Rockets are assisting on 54.6% of made baskets, only 5 teams are assisting at a lower rate.
- Oklahoma City grabs rebounds on 52.8% of all missed shots, highest rate in the league. The Rockets are right behind them at 52.7%
- 34.4% of the Rockets field goal attempts have been three pointers, most in the league. 27.2% of the Rockets points come on three-point makes, sixth highest.
- 46.1% of the Rockets points come in the paint, fifth highest in the league.
- Only 5.9% of the Rockets points come via mid-range shots, lowest in the league, Detroit (12.8%) is second lowest.
- Rockets lead the league with 20.8% of their points coming from the free throw line.
- 46.1% of the Rockets points come in the paint, fifth most in the NBA.
- In 26 games, the Rockets have only taken 107 shots from 15-19 feet, fewest in the league, Phoenix has taken 263, which is 2nd fewest.
- The 893 shots the Rockets have taken from closer than five feet from the basket is third most in the league.
- The Rockets starting lineup of Patrick Beverly, James Harden, Chandler Parsons, Terrence Jones, and Dwight Howard is outscoring teams by 18 points per 100 possessions.
- When you swap Beverly for Jeremy Lin, the Rockets are outscoring teams by just 2.4 points per 100 possessions even though they are scoring 118.3 points per 100 possessions.
- When you swap Beverly and Jones for Lin and Omri Casspi, the Rockets are outscoring teams by 19.4 points per 100 possessions.
- When Harden, Parsons and Howard share the floor, the Rockets are outscoring teams by 9.5 points per 100 possessions.
- When LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh share the floor, the Heat are outscoring teams by 9.2 points per 100 possessions.
LATEST SPORTS STORIES: