SOURCE: Mack Brown To Resign Friday *UPDATED*
From Our CBS Music Sites
Sports Fan Insider
SportsRadio 610 has learned that on Friday morning Mack Brown will announce his resignation as University of Texas head football coach after 16 seasons.
A source says Brown will tell his players on Thursday before making the official announcement. It is not known if Brown will coach the team in the Valero Alamo Bowl on December 30.
SportsRadio 610 reported earlier on Thursday that the Texas Board of Regents would vote to fire Brown when it meets Thursday if he wouldn’t resign. The 62-year old had been prepared to resign earlier this week, but became angered when reports leaked before he had the chance to tell his players and coaches.
Late Thursday morning, Orangebloods.com reported that UT President Bill Powers would get a vote of confidence from the school’s Board of Regents; SportsRadio 610 has been told throughout the week that the future of his job would be tied to his ability to get Brown to step aside.
Texas has its football banquet on Friday and wanted Brown to resign by then so it could use the night to celebrate him as well as the Texas seniors.
**UPDATE at 11:15 Thursday night**
There has been a change to this situation. It will not affect the final result, only the timeline which it occurs.
A source tells SportsRadio 610 that Brown will announce his resignation on Saturday at the earliest for two reasons:
1. As the Chronicle and San Antonio Express-News reported, Brown was not able to meet with university president Bill Powers on Thursday.
2. Brown wants to wait until after Friday’s Longhorn Football Banquet to make the announcement because he doesn’t want to take attention away from the UT seniors.Follow @AdamSpolane
LATEST SPORTS STORIES:
- Keidel: Dallas Cowboys… America’s Team Or Just A Dream?
- 2015 Paul “Bear” Bryant Coach of the Year Award Watch List Released
- Cushing Questionable For Texans Sunday Against Tennessee Titans
- Peyton Manning Is Particular, Andrew Hawkins Is Funny And Aaron Craft Is A Bear?
- Reed Listed As Questionable Sunday, Says He’s A Game Time Decision