Houston Astros To Host The Civil Rights Game
Houston (CBS Houston)– The Houston Astros’ big announcement Tuesday was the franchise will host the Baltimore Orioles in the annual MLB Civil Rights game on May 30, 2014.
“The Astros are honored to host the 2014 Civil Rights Game,” Astros owner Jim Crane said. “We have been pleased to support Major League Baseball’s many initiatives over the past two seasons and look forward to continuing to do so. The Civil Rights Game and its activities are a great way for us to honor those that have fought for equality in the past, and to promote diversity and opportunity in our game moving forward.”
The 8th Annual Civil Rights Game will continue to pay tribute to those who fought on and off the field for equal rights for all Americans.
It began in Memphis in 2007 as an exhibition game and was hosted last season by the Chicago White Sox.
Follow Julie Takahashi on Twitter: @Julie_Takahashi
LATEST SPORTS STORIES:
- Breaking Down College Basketball’s Top 25 Teams [1-5]
- Matt Hammond Podcast (Mar. 3): Is Andre Johnson Fibbing About Talks With Texans?
- Rosenfels: Andre Johnson The Best Receiver I Ever Played With
- Top 5 Sports Callers Of The Week: February 23-February 27
- Coleman: Asking Andre Johnson To Take A Lesser Role Slap In The Face