WATCH: Mariano Rivera’s Final Appearance At Yankee Stadium
From Our CBS Music Sites
Sports Fan Insider
Last night was an emotional night for Mariano Rivera. The future Hall of Famer pitched his final game at Yankee Stadium in a 4-0 loss to Tampa Bay Rays.
Rivera came on in the 8th inning for the Yankees entering one last time to Metallica’s “Enter Sandman.” After getting out of a jam in the 8th, the Major League leader in career saves came back out for the 9th inning.
After getting 2 outs in the final frame, teammates Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte emerged from the dugout to take Mariano off the mound.
When Rivera saw his teammates, who he played with since coming up with the Yankees as a starter in 1995, the moment hit him and he broke down in tears on Pettitte’s shoulder as the crowd roared.
It was a moment the defined why many love sports.
Rivera will play his final games before he retires in Houston this weekend.
LATEST SPORTS STORIES:
- Keidel: Dallas Cowboys… America’s Team Or Just A Dream?
- 2015 Paul “Bear” Bryant Coach of the Year Award Watch List Released
- Cushing Questionable For Texans Sunday Against Tennessee Titans
- Peyton Manning Is Particular, Andrew Hawkins Is Funny And Aaron Craft Is A Bear?
- Reed Listed As Questionable Sunday, Says He’s A Game Time Decision