Sam Montgomery Switches Positions
From Our CBS Music Sites
Sports Fan Insider
Houston (CBS Houston) - Sam Montgomery hasn’t played in any of the Texans first three games. His transition from college defensive end to NFL outside linebacker hasn’t gone well. After his early troubles, the third round pick will switch back to defensive end. The reason behind the change appears to be size related.
“He’s a big boy, man, and I don’t think that he tries to gain weight but he’s just big. He’s naturally big. He’s not fat, he’s got all muscle but a weight thing kept being the issue,” Antonio Smith said while on Texans Radio on Sports Radio 610.
Montgomery did have conditioning issues at the beginning of training camp and never found a rhythm as the preseason progressed. According to Antonio Smith, the transition back to defensive end is going well.
“He just didn’t look comfortable in a standup position and now that coach Kollar (The Texans defensive line coach) has been working with him in his stance, he’s playing a lot better.” Antonio Smith said.
The position change will come with a new number. According to Drew Dougherty of the Texans, Montgomery will now wear number 95.
Contact Will Grubb
Facebook: Will Grubb
LATEST SPORTS STORIES:
- Pauly G’s Themed Week 3 Power Rankings
- Marc Malusis Says If Giants Make Same Mistakes As Last Game Will Lose To Texans
- Texans S D.J. Swearinger Expects To Play Sunday Against New York Giants
- J.J. Watt On Playing Goal Line Tight End For Texans: “It’s Not A Gimmick”
- 6 Types Of People In Your Fantasy Football League