13-Year-Old Dies After Suffering Allergic Reaction From Fire Ant Bites During Football Game
From Our CBS Music Sites
Get Breaking News First
Sports Fan Insider
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (CBS Houston) — A 13-year-old football player died after suffering a severe allergic reaction caused by fire ant bites during a game last week.
KIII-TV is reporting that Haas Middle School eighth-grader Cameron Espinosa passed away Monday from the allergic reaction.
“CCISD is deeply saddened by the tragic loss of one of our very own Haas Middle School students,” the Corpus Christi Independent School District Facebook page states. “We would like to extend our thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of this student.”
A Driscoll Children’s Hospital spokesperson told KIII that Espinosa was put in a medically induced coma last week in hopes of reducing swelling in his brain.
Hector Salinas, a school board member, believes coaches should have done more after it was discovered that the field had trouble with fire ants.
“If it’s full of ants the way they say, and there was a lot of ant piles all over, then you know what, maybe the game shouldn’t have gone on,” Salinas told KRIS-TV.
Salinas continued: “We’re going to have to sit down and really look at everything, so that this will not ever happen again.”
Josephine Limon, Espinosa’s mother, told KRIS that her “son was an amazing boy” and “amazing kid.” She also said her son’s death could have been prevented if there were “more trained personnel” on hand, or an EpiPen.
Espinosa’s funeral will take place Thursday.
Haas Middle School has cancelled all athletic and extracurricular events for the rest of the week.