Manziel, Aggies Football Help Texas A&M Raise Record $740M In Donations
COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) — Johnny Football isn’t just helping Texas A&M University on the football field.
The resurgence of Aggies football helped Texas A&M raise a record $740 million in donations during the past year. The Austin American-Statesman reported Monday that the fundraising haul exceeds the university’s previous high mark by nearly 70 percent.
It also dwarfed the more than $400 million raised by rival University of Texas during the same period.
Texas A&M Foundation president Ed Davis says the campus is enjoying more energy thanks in part to the Aggies’ return as a college football power. Quarterback Johnny Manziel won the Heisman Trophy last year while leading Texas A&M to its best season in more than a decade.
Davis says a thriving Texas energy sector has also boosted donors’ fortunes.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
LATEST SPORTS STORIES:
- Eric Winston: NFL Made Up Rules To Keep Ray Rice Off The Field
- Two Straight Super Bowl Trips For Former Rice Star Willson
- Danny White: Cowboys Need to be Fired Up
- Rod Woodson, Julius Thomas, Montell Williams, Greg Ellis and Kevin Harlan Join The Triple Threat
- Keidel: Perfect Confluence Of Timing, Talent, History For Mayweather