Gold Medalist Carl Lewis Joins Houston Track And Field Staff
From Our CBS Music Sites
Sports Fan Insider
Houston (CBS Houston) – The University of Houston’s track and field program announced Thursday that Olympian and Cougar Alum Carl Lewis will join the staff as a volunteer coach. Lewis will work with the sprinters and jumpers.
“When you think of track and field, several athletes come to mind, one being Carl Lewis,” head coach Leroy Burrell said. “To have that type of name recognition and excellence associated with the program only enhances the training environment, credibility with our athletes and marketability with our recruits.”
The nine-time Olympic Gold Medalist still holds UH records for the indoor 55-meter dash (6.07) and both indoor and outdoor long jump records 8.56m (28’-1”) and 8.62m (28’-3.5”).
Lewis was a six-time All-American and won six national championships and nine individual conference championships during his two seasons at Houston.
Follow Julie Takahashi on Twitter: @Julie_Takahashi
LATEST SPORTS STORIES:
- Keidel: Dallas Cowboys… America’s Team Or Just A Dream?
- 2015 Paul “Bear” Bryant Coach of the Year Award Watch List Released
- Cushing Questionable For Texans Sunday Against Tennessee Titans
- Peyton Manning Is Particular, Andrew Hawkins Is Funny And Aaron Craft Is A Bear?
- Reed Listed As Questionable Sunday, Says He’s A Game Time Decision