25 Percent Of Students Attend Classes After School Receives Threats Following Murder Of Australian Baseball Player
DUNCAN, Okla. (AP) — Duncan school officials have lifted closed-campus procedures after the district received threats following the fatal shooting of an Australian baseball player.
Duncan Public Schools Superintendent Sherry Labyer sent a note to parents Tuesday after the district received threats of violence at Duncan High School. On Wednesday, the district brought in extra police officers for security and imposed closed-campus procedures, meaning students weren’t allowed to go outside.
The district also told parents they could keep their children home — and only about 25 percent of the high school population attended classes that day.
Labyer says operations will be back to normal Thursday with additional security at Duncan High School and Duncan Middle School.
Police Chief Danny Ford says the anonymous threats were related to last week’s fatal shooting of Christopher Lane.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)