Health And Beauty Wellness Wednesday: Preventing Heat Stroke, Stress
Houston is seeing and feeling tremendous heat this week, coupled with staggering and debilitating humidity. So often it has been said that it is easier to warm up than it is to cool off.
So when the heat heads your way, what are some ways you can keep cool? The following tips may prove to be useful:
1. First of all, be aware of the temperature. Watch the weather reports and know what the temperature will be on the day you will have to go outside. Also, keep a close watch on what your meteorologist refers to as a “heat index”. A “heat index” tells you how hot it feels outside in the shade and is based on the air temperature and the humidity.
2. I know you have heard it before, but it is imperative and key in staying cool: load up on the water and other nourishing beverages that will allow your body to cool. During the summer months, I keep a water bottle in the freezer that is half-way full of water. That water turns into ice and then I fill up the remaining bottle with cold water. It makes for a refreshing drink that keeps me cool! Even if you do not feel thirsty, still load up on water to keep your body hydrated cool throughout the day.
3. If you have to be outdoors during extreme bouts of heat, be sure to take frequent breaks during the activity; doing so will allow your body to cool and rest. The frequent breaks will allow your body to stay cool and you will be less likely to become overheated.
4. Be an early riser. I love to go power walking outside but during these bouts of extreme heat, I either go early in the morning, or not at all. I always say I have a “gateway” between 5:30 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. and if I wait to go later than that time, then I can forget it! So make sure you are getting in those outdoor activities during cool periods of the day.
5. Finally, if you begin to feel faint, dizzy and unstable, please seek medical attention immediately.
What additional tips can you offer to ward off heat stroke and heat-related illnesses? Share them as you enjoy related video below: