Mike Meltser: Sunday AM Texans Thoughts
by MIKE MELTSER, SportsRadio 610 July 28, 2013 4:25 PM
MIKE MELTSER What I do for 610: Co-host mid-day show with Seth Payne....Read More
From Our CBS Music Sites
Sports Fan Insider
Keep up with your favorite teams and athletes with daily updates.Sign Up
- Danieal Manning had a nice INT off Matt Schaub, cutting underneath Owen Daniels on a fairly short pass pattern
- I noticed that Gary Kubiak called DeAndre Hopkins and Keshawn Martin over a few times during the scrimmage portion of practice. Obviously, the development of the young wide receivers will be critical for the offense.
- On a related note, I really think the WR-CB matchups will bode well for the Texans. All of the young wide receivers will have to face Johnathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson, right now one of the best CB duos in the NFL. That will get them very prepared for game action.
- DJ Swearinger makes his presence felt on the field. He was hollering after a brief scuffle at practice, and is definitely the opposite of a typical reserved rookie. He carries himself with swagger.
- My biggest immediate health concern is at the ILB spot. We know Darryl Sharpton has yet to return from his groin injury, and the Texans are awfully thin here. Tim Dobbins can play, but Cameron Collins is getting a lot of reps right now. I also saw Shiloh Keo brought down at LB for some snaps. It may be early to say this, but this could be a spot where the Texans look to bring in a veteran.
- If I was an NFL GM, Duane Brown would be my ideal left tackle. He is a tremendously put-together athlete. His combination of size and athleticism is just incredible.
- As pointed out to me by my partner Seth Payne, Ed Reed looks like he’s in very good shape. He’s obviously not participating right now (PUP list), but he certainly isn’t carrying himself like a guy who is going to miss a lot of time.