Save Your Money Monday: Cut Costs Of Fruits & Vegetables
HOUSTON (CBS Houston) Eating healthy is something many of us strive to do on a regular basis. So when it comes to purchasing fruits and vegetables, what are ways to save money and still get great food packed with vitamins and nutrients?
Check out ways you can save money on your fruits and vegetables and live a healthy life through great healthy fruit and vegetable food combinations!
1. Grow your own! Think of the fruits and vegetables you love to eat and consider growing them in your own backyard or in an outdoor area devoted to fresh fruits and vegetables. Cucumbers, tomatoes and other fruits and veggies are easy to grow. So talk to a specialist, grab soil, a “small green thumb” and find out what is needed to do so!
2. Look for great deals. Visit your local grocery store and find those great deals. My local grocery store always seems to have great deals on strawberries and blueberries. I love stock up on both because they are grown right here in Texas and are packed with flavor! I love to mix the two into yogurt for a daily evening treat packed with flavor, health and nutrients! Locally grown fruits and veggies are usually cheaper than imported foods. So be sure to look at labels and make sure you are supporting your local economy while eating nutritiously!
3. Freeze and Stop! I love to purchase bananas, strawberries and blueberries. I also love purchasing fresh spinach and then freezing all that was just listed! Every Saturday, I love going to the local farmer’s market, supporting farmers with my purchases of their goods and then taking my purchases and freezing them. Sometimes my fruits last for a week or two. I take bananas, peel them, slice them and then freeze them in sections for my “banana, cantaloupe and peach juice” smoothies. I must say that they are delicious! Do you know how good a frozen banana tastes? LOL! So buy in bulk and freeze your fruits and veggies to maintain their freshness and keep your money in your pocket instead of buying foods every week.
4. Buy in season. I love to eat great fruits and veggies and I love buying what’s in season… it seems to be an adventure. My autumn days are packed with apples… Don’t get me wrong,. I love a great apple on a summer day but I just love buying them in bulk during the autumn months. So make sure you find great fruits and veggies when they are in season. Usually they can be a bit pricy out of season.
5. Cans and freezers are just fine! There is nothing wrong with canned fruits and veggies or frozen fruits and veggies. Many used to believe that nutrients were lost when these foods were canned. Well, if that is something that you may have issue with, simply freeze your fruits and veggies. Also, consider purchasing vacuuming and preservation jars. Remember “grandma’s” peaches? Grandma had it right… preserve them and vacuum them to preserve their natural state. I buy frozen fruit all of the time and sometimes I buy my fruit fresh and then freeze it. Remember those bananas I would peel and freeze above? We all know that it only takes hours for a banana to… well to… ripen to true brownness… so freeze that goodness!
6. Finally, share deals, coupons and great finds with friends and you will see that they will also do the same for you! Sharron down the street is a “stay at home” mom and loves sharing great deals she gets on fruits and veggies. Sometimes I will give her money and a tip to go to the grocery store for me and get those great fruit finds!
What are ways you save money on your fruits and veggies? Share them as you enjoy related video below!