You are always told to recycle your plastic but do you know why it truly benefits our earth to do so?
Check out some of these facts about plastic and the importance of recycling plastic below inside of this installment of “Think Green Thursday”!
According to GreenBuzz.net:
1. Did you know that “…”the average American average American consumed 1.6 gallons of bottled water in 1976. In 2006, that number jumped to 28.3 gallons. Fortunately, the total weight of the bottles was reduced during that period.” That’s a lot of water!
2. With the average American reportedly buying 167 bottles of water per year, there are alternatives. I for one purchased a water filter and placed it on my tap water fountain at home. Filling up your own water bottle and washing as well as reusing it really cuts down on plastic in our landfills and other areas!
3. “Only 25 recycled bottles are enough to make one adult’s fleece jacket,” as reported by GreenBuzz.net.
4. Also the website reports, “Recycling plastics can save up to 2/3 of the needed energy for producing plastic from raw materials!”
5. And finally, according to the Greenpeace.org website, what is referred to as the “Trash Vortex” of the North Pacific ocean is reportedly the size of Texas! (I have often heard this “vortex’ called a “garbage patch”!
The site further states that: “…an estimated six kilos of plastic for every kilo of natural plankton, along with other slow degrading garbage, swirls slowly around like a clock, choked with dead fish, marine mammals, and birds who get snared. Some plastics in the gyre will not break down in the lifetimes of the grandchildren of the people who threw them away.”
Whew! So what are you going to do with your plastic? Share tips that you use to cut down on your use of plastic and watch related video below!