HOUSTON (AP) — A Houston man is accused of threatening to kidnap, murder and burn U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas and his father and also to “blow up” the sun if he wasn’t paid $3 million.
Nick Gates was being held Tuesday in the Harris County jail on a $10,000 bond. He’s charged with making a terroristic threat.
Investigators allege threatening phone calls made June 5 to Cruz’s offices in Austin and San Antonio were traced back to Gates.
Court documents show the 37-year-old admitted to FBI agents he made the calls and that Cruz was told he had a choice: give Gates the money or “lose the sun.”
Gates told agents he had previously been hospitalized at the Harris County Mental Health Center.
Court records didn’t list an attorney for Gates.
News From Our Music Stations
- WATCH: Lady Gaga Gets Theatrical In Official Video For ‘Applause’
- Forget Hips; Shakira’s Abs Don’t Lie!
- Justin Timberlake Will Perform, Win Legacy Award at MTV VMAs
- Kelly Clarkson Announces Christmas Album!
- Luke Bryan Talks New Album ‘Crash My Party’
- MTV Video Music Awards: Remember When?
- Dixie Chicks Announce Tour, Austin City Limits Music Festival Performances!
- The Legacy Of ‘The Duke’ Continues
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)