JESSIEVILLE, Ark. (CBS Houston) — A 5-year-old boy who survived last month’s deadly tornado in Moore, Okla., was killed in a dog attack at a family friend’s home in Jessieville, Ark.
KTHV-TV reports that a Bull Mastiff dog attacked the boy Saturday afternoon after he began throwing a temper tantrum.
“The dog possibly attacked because he felt threatened,” Garland County Deputy Scott Hinojosa told KTHV.
Lynn Geiling, 50, and her husband tried to pull the dog off the boy. KLRT-TV reports that the boy suffered “major lacerations” to the head and neck during the attack.
The boy later died at Mercy Hospital in Hot Springs.
“You can’t imagine, you know, what this family and friends are going through right now,” Hinojosa told KLRT.
The boy and his 2-year-old sister were staying with family friends in Arkansas as their parents stayed back in Moore to rebuild.
KTHV reports that the dog has been put down.
The May 20 tornado in Moore killed 24 people.
News From Our Music Stations:
- WATCH: Lady Gaga Gets Theatrical In Official Video For ‘Applause’
- Forget Hips; Shakira’s Abs Don’t Lie!
- Justin Timberlake Will Perform, Win Legacy Award at MTV VMAs
- Kelly Clarkson Announces Christmas Album!
- Luke Bryan Talks New Album ‘Crash My Party’
- MTV Video Music Awards: Remember When?
- Dixie Chicks Announce Tour, Austin City Limits Music Festival Performances!
- The Legacy Of ‘The Duke’ Continues