Monday is the deadline for Houston residents to submit ideas on what the city should do with what used to be called the “Eighth Wonder of the World”.
As many have said that it should be “resurrected” and others have called it an “eyesore”, there is something many can agree on: something has to be done with the Astrodome.
With Monday’s deadline, individuals who have ideas on what should be done with it, will have till the close of business to turn in their proposal to the Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation. Those ideas will be discussed at Commissioners Court on June 25.
Here are some interesting facts about the Astrodome:
1. The Astrodome was the first of its kind domed sports stadium.
2. It opened in 1965 as Harris County Domed Stadium and was nicknamed the “Eighth Wonder of the World”.
3. When the Astrodome opened, it used a natural grass (Tifway 419 Bermuda Grass) playing surface.
4. Back in the 1980s, the Astrodome was well-known for a four-story-tall scoreboard, comprised of thousands of lightbulbs, which featured animations as well!
5. The 1992 Republican National Convention was held at the Astrodome.
6. The largest crowd in the Astrodome’s history took place in 2001, when the WWE brought Wrestlemania X-Seven to the Astrodome. A total of 67,925 fans came out to see the festivities!
Watch related video below: