Beauty/Wellness Wednesday: Benefits Of Blueberries
From Our CBS Music Sites
Get Breaking News First
HOUSTON (CBS Houston) Blueberries are a delicious fruit. Their mixture of tartness and sweetness help to balance out and even enhance the flavor of yogurt, ice cream, a fruit bowl and various desserts.
But did you know that inside every little tiny blueberry are great health benefits? Let’s explore them inside of this “Beauty/Wellness Wednesday”!
I enjoy blueberries inside of a bowl of oatmeal alongside some strawberries. I am also known to have the “purple/blue teeth” because I love to snack on them. Little did I know that I am doing my body a great service by incorporating blueberries in my diet! Check out why you should incorporate them in your diet as well!
1. Blueberries can boost your immune system. The berries contain antioxidants such as vitamin A, vitamin B complex, vitamin C, vitamin E, anthocyanin,iron, zinc, copper and selenium. So with those “shields” you are helping to enhance your body’s immune system. We all know that a healthy immune system can help to ward off illnesses such as colds and the flu.
2. Have you been forgetting things lately? Grab a handful of blueberries and boost your brain power. Blueberries are known to improve memory due to their ability to increase the potential of neuron signals. The blue balls of goodness are also known to protect the brain against oxidative stress and reduce dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. So improve your brain functions and grab some blueberries.
3. In addition to boosting your immune system and helping you keep those mental skills sharp, blueberries have been known to improve eyesight. Since blueberries are a great source of Vitamin A which is an essential nutrient for healthy eyesight, it is “eye-deal” for you to incorporate some blueberries in your diet and “see” yourself to better health!
4. Are those cholesterol levels high? Then grab some blueberries and lower it. In fact, studies have shown that there is a a compound in blueberries proven to lower cholesterol as effectively as prescription drugs! The best part about lowering your cholesterol with blueberries instead of medications, is that the only side effect you have is the blue teeth. We can live with that as long as a toothbrush is handy.
5. Are you looking for a way to simmer down the signs of aging? Then grab some blueberries and melt away tiredness and oldness and welcome youth and vibrancy. Since blueberries contain antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, they add a protective layer around the brain to combat the signs of aging and deterioration! *Picking up truck case-load of blueberries from market*
6. This next health benefit was shared with me on a plane. Did you know that blueberries can help combat bloating, constipation and bowel issues? I asked my doctor and she said it was true. Blueberries are rich in fiber and we all know the effects of fiber in our diets. So instead of reaching for a laxative or an enema for constipation, reach for a blueberry-rich drink and enjoy! Also, for added benefit, I sometimes just make a banana and blueberry smoothie and add just a little peach or mango flavored juice. You really do feel great afterwards.
So enjoy those blueberries and know that you are really improving your health one blissful berry at a time!
Do you have additional benefits of blueberries you would like to share? Sound off and watch related video below: