Houston Texans to Donate Gameday Auction Proceeds to Sandy Hook School Support Fund
From Our CBS Music Sites
Sports Fan Insider
The Houston Texans will donate the proceeds from the team’s gameday auction to the Sandy Hook School Support Fund, a nation-wide fund which was created by the United Way to help the families of the victims of the shooting at the school in Newtown, CT last week.
The silent auction will be located in the concourse behind Section 140 and will be open from the time the stadium gates open until the end of halftime.
Texans Owner Bob McNair and the Houston Texans Foundation have pledged to match the amount raised at the game-day auction. The game-day auctions typically raise approximately $10,000 to $15,000 per game and normally benefit the Houston Texans Foundation. The Foundation primarily supports the team’s three strategic community partners: the Houston Texans YMCA, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Houston and the Houston Food Bank.
“Like so many people around the country, we were deeply saddened by the tragic news from Connecticut last week and immediately felt compelled to find a way to help the families of the victims and the Newtown community at large, especially the children,” said Houston Texans President Jamey Rootes. “We are fortunate to have a partner like the United Way that is able to respond quickly to those in need, and we hope that our contribution will help them make a difference for kids and families in the Newtown area.”
A committee of Newtown, CT community leaders, including municipal, school district and faith-based groups will meet to determine how the funds can best be used. Initial plans are for the money to go toward counseling and support groups for those affected, as well as looking at long-term needs of the community.
Among the items available at the auction are:
- Andre Johnson autographed and custom framed Nike “Elite” Jersey
- J.J. Watt “Swat Team” autographed and custom framed photos
- Encased Texans Replica Helmet autographed by Matt Schaub, Arian Foster, Owen Daniels, Andre Johnson, Brian Cushing, Johnathan Joseph and J.J. Watt
- Encased Authentic NFL Football Autographed by Matt Schaub
- A trip for two (2) to the 2013 NFL Draft in New York
- Opportunity for two (2) fans to experience pre-game intros from the Texans tunnel at the Texans’ first home playoff game in January 2013
- Andre Johnson “The Great One” autographed and custom framed photo
- Arian Foster autographed Nike jersey
Fans can also help from where they’re sitting by texting NEWTOWN to 80888 to make a $10 donation to the Sandy Hook School Support Fund.