Firefighters Hindered By Clutter During Rescue Attempt Of Woman


During a late Monday night attempt to rescue a woman from a burning, Houston firefighters were hindered because of clutter inside of the home.

Although firefighters fought desperately to try and rescue the 66-year-old woman trapped in a burning south Houston home Monday, clutter inside of the home made their efforts difficult. As a result, the woman died from her injuries. The Houston Fire Department stated that the victim was identified as Glady Cotton.

Additional reports indicate that the fire fire broke out at Cotton’s home located on Sherwood Drive at Porter Avenue around 11:30 p.m. Eyewitness reports indicate that flames were shooting from the one-story home.

With a plan to rescue the woman, firefighters sprung into action quickly but then had trouble finding the elderly woman inside due to clutter in the home.

HFD cut through a wall to make a bathroom window large enough to rescue the woman. Although she was then removed from the burning home and transported to the hospital in critical condition, she later died a short time later from her injuries.

Homicide and arson investigators were called to scene to investigate the blaze. Although not confirmed, it is believed that a space heater may have ignited the fire.

  • Elderly Woman Dies In Southeast Houston House Fire « CBS Houston

    […] Monday evening, a woman died in another house fire after firefighters attempted to rescue her; clutter in the home prevented them from getting to her in time to save her life. […]

blog comments powered by Disqus
Watch Now: Live Video & Video Highlights

Listen Live