The Houston Texans (1-0) take to the road against their AFC South rivals, the Jacksonville Jaguars (0-1), at noon CDT on Sunday at Everbank Field. The matchup features the NFL’s last two rushing champions in Texans running back Arian Foster (1,616 yards in 2010) and Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew (1,606 yards in 2011).
In Week 1, Houston erased a 3-0 deficit with 24 unanswered points off four second-quarter takeaways in its 30-10 season-opening win against Miami at Reliant Stadium.
Quarterback Matt Schaub completed 20-of-31 passes for 266 yards, one touchdown, no interceptions and a 102.4 passer rating. Wide receiver Andre Johnson caught eight passes for 119 yards and a score while Foster added two touchdowns and 79 yards on the ground.
Houston’s defense picked up where it left off in 2011. The Texans didn’t allow an offensive touchdown, held the Dolphins to 275 total yards, forced four turnovers and had three sacks. Defensive end J.J. Watt opened his sophomore campaign with 1.5 sacks and three passes defensed, two of which led to interceptions. Inside linebacker Brian Cushing led the Texans with seven tackles and had a forced fumble and interception.
Jacksonville dropped its opener in overtime at Minnesota, 26-23, in Mike Mularkey’s debut as the team’s head coach. Quarterback Blaine Gabbert was 23-of-39 for 260 yards and two touchdowns in the loss. Jones-Drew had 77 yards rushing on 19 carries.
• Texans lead the all-time series 11-9 and are 4-6 all-time at EverBank Field.
• Last Regular Season Meeting: Houston 20, Jacksonville 13 at Ever-Bank Field on Nov. 27, 2011.
• Houston has won the last three meetings between the two teams but neither team has ever won four straight games in the series.
• Since 2007, both teams have won as the visitor only once in the series.
• The last four games in the series at EverBank Field have been decided by a touchdown or less.