The Houston Texans (10-6, AFC South champions in 2011) open the 11th season in franchise history against the Miami Dolphins (6-10 in 2011) on Sunday at noon in Reliant Stadium in the team’s annual Liberty White Out.
Houston is coming its first-ever playoff season and enters its seventh season with head coach Gary Kubiak at the helm. The game also marks the return of Texans QB Matt Schaub as the signal-caller after a Lisfranc injury ended his 2011 season early. He will direct an offense that returns go-to weapons WR Andre Johnson, TE Owen Daniels and RB Arian Foster. The offensive line will feature new starters in RG Antoine Caldwell and RT Derek Newton.
• Texans lead the all-time series 6-0 and are 3-0 all-time against Miami at Reliant Stadium.
• Last Regular Season Meeting: Houston 23, Miami 13 at Sun Life Stadium on Sept. 18, 2011
• Kubiak’s first career win came against Miami, a 17-15 decision on Oct. 1, 2006.
• Five of the six games in the all-time series have been decided by a touchdown or less.
• Sunday is the second time the teams have opened the season against one another, a 21-20 Houston win on Sept. 7, 2003 being the other.
• Four games in the series have been decided by three points or less, including three in the last 30 seconds of the game:
TEXANS-DOLPHINS CLOSE CALLS
Date – Final – Time – PLAY
9/7/03 – 21-20 – 0:25 – Kris Brown 35-yard field goal
10/1/06 – 17-15 – 1:39 – Morlon Greenwood breaks up RB Ronnie Brown’s pass to Chris Chambers on a two-point conversion.
10/7/07 – 22-19 – 0:01 – Kris Brown 57-yard field goal
10/12/08 – 29-28 – 0:03 – Matt Schaub 3-yard TD run