Texans CentralShop for Texans Gear Buy Texans Tickets NFL Scoreboard NFL Standings Team STATS Team Schedule Team Roster Team Injuries
From Our CBS Music Sites
Coming off a 26-13 preseason win against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday, the Texans knew there was plenty of room for improvement.
1. One of the biggest issues in the preseason opener was the inefficiency in the red zone. The Texans scored a touchdown only once in five trips to the red zone, and red zone efficiency was a prominent issue at practice today. The offense ran smoothly initially, but encountered problems further into practice. The Texans ranked 23rd in the league last season in red zone efficiency, and should continue to address this issue throughout training camp.
2. Brian Cushing and Andre Johnson practiced without issue today, but Shaun Cody sat out with a strained disc in his back. Cody expects to be healthy within a few days, and has been using electronic treatments to supplement his recovery. In his absence, Earl Mitchell received reps at Nose Tackle.
3. Both Jonathan Grimes and Davin Meggett received extensive reps with the second and third teams. With the first three running back positions set, the Texans are clearly trying to determine which undrafted rookie to keep on the practice squad. Grimes and Meggett both made plays in practice, but Meggett had a stronger day.
4. DeVier Posey did not receive extensive attention today, but had one costly dropped pass that stalled an otherwise successful offensive drive. After practice, Posey worked individually with team officials to improve his catching technique.
5. Both Matt Schaub and TJ Yates threw costly interceptions during seven-on-sevens, to Kareem Jackson and Roc Carmichael respectively.
6. Inside Linebacker Omar Gaither, Keyaron Fox’s replacement, had one of the few blocked punts of training camp so far. Fox is on injured reserve with a knee injury.
7. The day’s biggest hit came on a quick pass from Schaub to James Casey on the sideline, and Mister Alexander pushed Casey hard into the turf. Casey got up visibly frustrated and argued with Alexander and several defensive backs, but caused no further trouble.