Texans-Panthers Game Notes
From Our CBS Music Sites
Sports Fan Insider
· Improved Houston’s all-time preseason record to 17-25, 8-13 on the road and 6-5 in preseason openers.
· Improved the Texans’ preseason record against Carolina to 1-0.
· Improved Houston’s record in preseason games against NFC South opponents to 6-9 all-time.
· Improved head coach Gary Kubiak’s career preseason record to 14-11 and 5-2 in preseason openers.
· The Texans outrushed the Panthers, gaining 174 yards on the ground to Carolina’s 61.
· The Texans outgained the Panthers overall, 375 to 137. The Texans defense limited Carolina to 12 first downs.
· The Texans dominated time of possession, holding the ball for 37:41.
· The Texans’ starting defense forced a three-and-out in each of their first two series of the preseason, holding the Panthers offense to one yard of net offense on the two drives.
· The Texans defense recorded two takeaways, an interception and a fumble recovery. The two takeaways along with a fumble and an interception by the offense gave Houston an even turnover margin in the game.
· The Texans defense registered eight total sacks, with six different players accounting for them.
· The Texans’ starting offense drove 65 yards in nine plays for a field goal on its first possession of the preseason, capping the drive with a 20-yard field goal from K Shayne Graham.
· The Texans rushed for 174 yards in the game, marking the fourth time in three years under offensive coordinator Rick Dennison that the Texans have rushed for more than 170 yards in a preseason game.
· The Texans led 10-3 at the end of the first quarter, were tied at halftime, 13-13, and led after three quarters 23-13.
· The Panthers won the toss and elected to receive the opening kickoff.
INDIVIDUAL PLAYER NOTES
· QB John Beck finished the night 4-of-6 for 46 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions, giving him a passer rating of 89.6. Beck engineered the Texans’ first touchdown drive of the night, an 11-play, 61-yard march in the third quarter.
· OLB Bryan Braman sacked Carolina QB Jimmy Clausen for 5-yard loss early in the fourth quarter. It was his first sack in the preseason and the defense’s fifth of the night.
· K Randy Bullock capped the Texans’ scoring with a 52-yard field goal in the fourth quarter following the two-minute warning. Bullock was 2-of-2 on the night with the 52-yarder and a 21-yarder in the second quarter.
· ILB Tim Dobbins sacked Carolina QB Derek Anderson for a 7-yard loss in the second quarter. It was Houston’s third sack of the first half.
· Dobbins teamed with OLB Whitney Mercilus to sack Carolina QB Jimmy Clausen for a 9-yard loss in the third quarter. The sack gave each of them 1.5 for the game.
· K Shayne Graham was perfect on both of his field goal attempts, hitting from 20 yards in the first quarter and from 37 yards in the third quarter.
· RB Jonathan Grimes scored the Texans’ first offensive touchdown of the preseason on a 3-yard run in the third quarter. The score came as the result of an interception and capped an 11-play, 61-yard drive.
· WR Trindon Holliday returned a first-quarter kickoff 90 yards for a touchdown. It was the second kickoff return for a score in team preseason history. WR Reggie Swinton had a 102-yard return for touchdown in 2005 at Dallas (8/27/05). Holliday finished the game with 182 total return yards, including 159 in kickoff returns.
· OLB Whitney Mercilus registered the first sack of his career when he dropped Carolina QB Derek Anderson for a 4-yard loss in the second quarter.
· Mercilus teamed with ILB Tim Dobbins to sack Carolina QB Jimmy Clausen for a 9-yard loss in the third quarter. The sack gave each of them 1.5 for the game.
· OLB Jesse Nading sacked Carolina QB Jimmy Clausen for a 5-yard loss in the fourth quarter. It was the sixth sack of the night for the Texans defense.
· FS Troy Nolan intercepted a pass on Carolina’s opening drive of the third quarter, setting up an eventual touchdown. It was his third career interception in preseason play after he had two picks in the 2011 preseason.
· OLB Brooks Reed registered a sack for a 10-yard loss on Houston’s second defensive series.
· QB Matt Schaub finished the night 3-of-6 for 52 yards with no touchdowns and one interception. He led three drives: a 9-play, 65-yard scoring drive; a 1-play, 11-yard drive that ended with a fumble; and a 2-play, 12-yard drive that ended with an interception. His final passer rating was 40.3.
· QB T.J. Yates led a 16-play, 68-yard drive in his first action of the night. The drive was capped by a 21-yard field goal from K Randy Bullock.
· Yates completed 8-of-12 pass attempts for 89 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions, giving him a passer rating of 88.5.
· Texans scratches included DE Jared Crick, ILB Brian Cushing, LB Keyaron Fox, ILB Omar Gaither, NT Ra’Shon Harris, WR Jerrell Jackson, WR Andre Johnson, WR Bryant Johnson, DE J.J. Watt and ILB Greg Williams.